Did a Phone Battery Cause a Shop Fire in Horsham?

A recent incident in Horsham has left local residents wondering about the potential dangers of their mobile phone batteries. According to West Sussex Fire and Rescue, a shop fire near Swan Walk was believed to have been caused by a phone battery. Four fire engines were dispatched to the scene to tackle the blaze.

Though the fire was successfully extinguished, the severity of the fire was a cause for concern. Station manager Alistair Green revealed that the fire had originated from a lithium-ion battery in a smartphone. The store room where the fire occurred generated intense heat and required the diligent efforts of the fire crews.

While no casualties were reported, the incident serves as a reminder to be cautious when charging mobile phones. Mr. Green advised using recommended charging devices provided by the phone manufacturer and avoiding leaving phones unattended while on charge.

In addition to the phone battery safety, Mr. Green emphasized the importance of having working smoke alarms in every household. These alarms can provide early detection of fires and alert residents in time to evacuate safely. By having functional smoke alarms, individuals can increase their chances of receiving prompt assistance from emergency services and escaping from dangerous situations.

The incident in Horsham serves as a wake-up call for all mobile phone users. It is essential to follow the recommended charging practices and be aware of the potential risks associated with lithium-ion batteries. By taking these precautions, we can help prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What caused the shop fire in Horsham?
A: According to West Sussex Fire and Rescue, the fire was believed to have been caused by a phone battery.

Q: How was the fire extinguished?
A: Four fire engines were dispatched to the scene, and the fire crews used breathing apparatus to successfully extinguish the blaze.

Q: Was anyone injured in the fire?
A: Fortunately, there were no reported casualties.

Q: What precautions are advised when charging mobile phones?
A: The station manager advised using recommended charging devices from the phone manufacturer and avoiding leaving phones unattended while on charge.

Q: Why are working smoke alarms important?
A: Working smoke alarms provide early detection of fires, giving residents enough time to alert emergency services and evacuate safely.