Fugitive Kayaker Arrested for Faking Death to Evade Charges of Child Rape

A kayaker from Louisiana who went missing and was presumed dead has now been arrested for allegedly faking his own death in an attempt to avoid facing charges of child rape. Melvin Phillip Emde, 41, was apprehended by authorities in Georgia after his son reported him missing over a month ago.

Initially, Emde’s son informed the police that his father had drowned after falling out of a kayak on the Mississippi River in Hahnville, Louisiana. However, detectives soon discovered that Emde had pending charges of indecent liberties with a child and statutory rape in North Carolina. He was scheduled to appear in court the day after being reported missing.

St. Charles Parish Sheriff Greg Champagne expressed suspicions that Emde’s disappearance may have been an elaborate ruse to evade prosecution. The revelation that Emde had purchased two prepaid phones on the day of his supposed drowning further raised red flags. Detectives, working in collaboration with authorities in North Carolina and the U.S. Marshals Service, traced the phones and eventually located Emde.

The fugitive was captured after a high-speed motorcycle chase in Georgia. He initially provided a false identity to law enforcement but was identified through fingerprints. Now in custody, Emde will face the charges awaiting him in North Carolina.

This case underscores the desperate lengths some individuals may go to avoid accountability for their actions. Faking one’s own death is an extreme measure, but it highlights the severe consequences that legal allegations can have on someone’s life.

Q: What were the charges against Emde?
A: Melvin Phillip Emde faced charges of indecent liberties with a child and statutory rape in North Carolina.

Q: How was Emde located?
A: Emde was traced and apprehended after the sheriff’s office discovered that he had purchased prepaid phones on the day of his supposed drowning.

Q: How was Emde identified after being captured?
A: Emde provided a false identity but was eventually identified through his fingerprints.