In a heartwarming display of solidarity, the community rallied behind Cafe Aronne, a popular Upper East Side establishment, after several employees walked off the job due to the owner’s support for Israel. The cafe, which has been serving customers for the past 10 months, is operated by a dedicated Israeli family.
This incident unfolded when the owner proudly displayed an Israeli flag at the counter and initiated a fundraising campaign to aid the Israeli Red Cross during the Israel-Hamas conflict. Disturbed by the gesture, a number of pro-Palestinian employees voiced their discomfort and chose to resign. In the past month alone, approximately eight employees left their positions.
News of the staff shortage quickly spread, prompting an outpouring of support from friends and customers alike. On Tuesday, a multitude of individuals volunteered their time, pouring coffee and serving wine behind the counter to ensure the cafe could continue operating smoothly.
“The team is our family, and some in the family needed help, so we all jump in,” expressed Ashley Lucas, a close friend of the cafe’s owners. Customers mirrored this sentiment, emphasizing their commitment to standing in solidarity with Cafe Aronne and their support for Israel.
In the face of adversity, the owner expressed his gratitude for the overwhelming support received, stating, “This shows there’s support. There’s love still in the world,” highlighting the affirmation that New York is not a dangerous place for the Jewish community.
By emphasizing unity and peace, the owner aims to create an environment where everyone feels comfortable expressing their opinions and engaging in respectful dialogue. In furtherance of this, the cafe owner is actively seeking to hire additional staff members.
As the situation unfolds, it remains unclear as to the identities and perspectives of the employees who departed or the factors that influenced their decision. However, the multiple acts of support witnessed at Cafe Aronne serve as a testament to the resilience and unity within this community.
1. Why did the employees walk off the job?
– The employees decided to quit due to the cafe owner’s support for Israel, symbolized by the display of an Israeli flag and a fundraising campaign for the Israeli Red Cross.
2. How did the community show support for the cafe?
– Upon learning about the staff shortage, friends and customers volunteered their time to help serve customers and maintain operations at the cafe.
3. What was the cafe owner’s response to the walkout?
– The owner expressed gratitude for the overwhelming support and emphasized the importance of creating a respectful and comfortable environment for all.
4. Are the identities of the employees who quit known?
– The identities of the employees who chose to resign have not been disclosed, and their perspectives have not been shared publicly.