In a fitting tribute to the town’s mining heritage and as a permanent reminder of the tragic Gresford Mining Disaster, the sister wheel to the memorial wheel has been reclaimed and restored. This restored wheel will now become the centerpiece of the new Kop Stand at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham, North Wales. The new stand will not only celebrate the town’s rich history but also strengthen the link between Wrexham AFC and the Gresford Mining Disaster.
Furthermore, Wrexham’s coal-mining legacy is preserved in another historic building tucked away on Maesgwyn Road. The Mines Rescue Training Station, built in 1913, served as a base and training center for the local mines rescue teams. Today, it continues to function as a rescue station, although its focus has shifted to different types of rescues. The facility features tunnels, shafts, and enclosures that can be filled with smoke, steam, gas, and heat to simulate rescue scenarios and test protective and breathing equipment. Like a lifeboat station, the Rescue depends on dedicated volunteers who gear up and respond whenever their services are needed.
Last year, the community hub unveiled a poignant addition in the form of the Gresford Colliery memorial wall. This wall records the names of the 266 men and boys who tragically lost their lives in the devastating 1934 mining disaster. The memorial serves as a solemn reminder of the lives lost and the immense impact the disaster had on the community.
The new Kop Stand at the Racecourse Ground, the Rescue Training Station, and the Gresford Colliery memorial wall all play crucial roles in preserving and honoring the history of the Gresford Mining Disaster. These landmarks serve as symbols of remembrance, resilience, and community strength. They ensure that the memory of the 266 lives lost on September 22, 1934, remains deeply ingrained in the consciousness of North Wales.
Q: When did the Gresford Mining Disaster occur?
A: The Gresford Mining Disaster took place on September 22, 1934.
Q: How many lives were lost in the Gresford Mining Disaster?
A: A total of 266 lives were lost in the mining disaster.
Q: What is the significance of the sister wheel to the memorial wheel?
A: The restored sister wheel will be incorporated into the new Kop Stand at the Racecourse Ground as a tribute to the town’s mining heritage and a reminder of the Gresford Mining Disaster.
Q: What is the Rescue Training Station?
A: The Rescue Training Station is a historic building that originally served as a base and training center for North Wales’ mines rescue teams. Today, it functions as a rescue station for different types of emergencies.
Q: What is the purpose of the Gresford Colliery memorial wall?
A: The memorial wall serves as a solemn tribute, recording the names of the 266 men and boys who lost their lives in the Gresford Mining Disaster. It is a poignant reminder of the tragedy and its impact on the community.